I've been thinking about leaving HubPages and have been giving this whole thing a lot of thought. Should I continue on HubPages or create my own site and post articles there? Here are some pros and cons of creating my own blog, to kind of help flesh things out a bit:
- I get 100% of the earnings
- I have complete control of the site from the design to the SEO
- Sharpen my web dev skills. Chances are I would use Drupal (I don't care for WordPress.) I would want a lot of customization in the way of plug-ins.
- It could be a lot of fun managing my own site.
- I wouldn't have to worry about a bunch of crappy or stolen content dragging down my domain. I would be the only one posting.
- Having your own site is something to be proud of.
- No Westside story Facebook drama.
- I think I could make a pretty strong domain. I've done it before. I think a lot of the "crap" weighs HubPages down. Cutting the crap wouldn't be a matter of hitting a report button, but rather, just deleting it.
- I would have to pay for a domain name and hosting
- Creating and maintaining a site is a lot of work.
- I would have to rely on AdSense clicks again.
- I'm really sick of the whole SEO thing. As lazy as it sounds, I feel like I'm on autopilot with HubPages.
- It would get lonely. My comments would come solely from search engine visitors.
- Too much control could lead to micro-managing.
- No more eBay... not that I earn a ton from it, anyway.
- No HubScore. Even though HubScore is generally worthless, a score below 70 does kind of let me know, "Hey, Melanie, you really need to work on this on."
What do you think? Should I stay with HubPages or develop my own site?